Saturday, December 19, 2009

Creativity

I believe I mentioned a while ago that I had started writing for another record... well, I think that was almost a year ago that I started, but I had a brief pause in my life that didn't allow for many new songs. I assembled a lot of ideas as voice memos on my phone, but it wasn't until a couple of weeks or so ago that complete songs started materializing.

I believe I know why it took until a couple weeks ago, but I'm not going to pretend to understand how creativity works. What I can say is that these few weeks have been an incredible experience, and I feel very fortunate to be in it right now.

Around the end of November I looked ahead to December and saw that I had very few commitments or responsibilities to fulfill, and I sorta made a choice to let go of everything for the month and see if any songs come out. I didn't have any expectations or fears about it -- just let go and see what happens. By the 2nd or 3rd day I was in possibly the most relaxed and weightless vibe I have ever been in. Then, little bits of song and lyric ideas start coming out here and there, and songs are coming together, appearing out of nowhere. Believing heavily in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" I've continued to let go, and the creativity and vibe have kept flowing.

I feel pretty blessed to be able to do this right now. It's truly amazing how much joy creativity brings me, and to be as far in it as I am is quite a treat. I continue to refrain from having expectations, including about how this 2nd record is going to turn out, but I do acknowledge and respect the opportunity that I am enjoying right now. I'm doing my best not to take it for granted.

It's a little sad when I realize that the month is going to be over before too long, and responsibilities will return, but fortunately I also believe in "this too shall pass." Nothing lasts forever, and that's okay. In fact, I wouldn't want it any other way. (I rhymed just then... that may end up in a song) I remind myself that appreciating every moment doesn't have to stop January 1st. Plus, it appears as though I will have enough material for the album, so I'm excited about moving on to the recording portion of the process.

I definitely appreciate what I get to do... I'm a lucky dude.

No comments: