Sunday, October 12, 2008

Hello, there...

Wow... I'm here. When the whole concept of blogging came into being and made its way to my eyes and ears, I never thought that I would find myself taking part. But then again, when I was 12 in the backseat on vacation to visit my grandparents in Altadena, I told myself that I hated L.A. and would never live there. I've been living in L.A. for 6 years now, so go figure.

But why the hell am I here? Aside from a recommendation from my good friend Cameron Mizell, I've experienced a realization or 3 as of late. The first of which is a realization that what I've been so passionate about since I was 13 is in fact the reason why I am here -- it's what I'm here to do: make music. Following shortly after that was an understanding of what that means, and fortunately it didn't scare me. If it scared me, I would know that my realization was false. Instead I felt very, very alive. After realizing this connection between my life and music, I began to notice things in everyday life that confirmed (and continue to do so) my gut feelings.

I believe we are living in a very exciting time (realization #3). Yeah, I know, Iraq is a drag, the economy is in a nose dive, the planet is pissed off at us, and it's getting harder and harder to trust the people who are running things... but where many see crisis and ruin, I see the potential for change. There is a lot of negativity and negative people around, but I also see a growing percentage of positivity and positive people. I'm not talking about naive, blind-happy type people. I'm talking about people who understand that every situation, event, choice and action is subject to perception. We can choose to be reactive, or we can choose to be proactive, and I see more and more people who want to move towards being proactive. Maybe they don't know how, but the will is there. And where there's a will... hell yeah, there's a way.

So what does this have to do with why I'm here? Because I believe we are all part of the "way." Music inspires me -- makes me feel alive. And when I make music for others, I see/hear/feel the inspiration they are receiving from me. It's not up to me to decide how they are inspired, or what they do with that inspiration -- that's up to them alone. But I do know this: belief + inspiration + action = evolution. I'm here to live music, and this passion drives me to put my music into the ears of the willing. So this blog will be a sounding board for me along this journey, as well as a way to connect with others who have similar feelings/beliefs/inclinations. Somehow I know that's why I'm here... isn't that exciting?

No comments: