Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Something New

Last night I did something brand new; something I'd never done before. I got together with a new friend of mine, Brett Boyett, and wrote a song specifically to be pitched for use in T.V. and film. *And the peasants rejoiced.... yaaayy.* I've been involved in songs that have gone on to be considered (and some used) for T.V. and film, but never started from scratch with that concept as the sole purpose.

I must say, we did a damn good job. After 4 hours we had written and recorded a 3 minute, 35 second song that could easily find its way into dramatic television shows. And it's a good song, too. Brett is damn talented and he knows what he's doing (he's been doing this kind of thing for a while). And since he's the one who knows the people who could actually put the song on T.V., I'm just happy to be involved.

So keep your ears open... you just might hear my voice and acoustic guitar in the background of a love scene in your favorite drama. Nifty.

1 comment:

Cameron Mizell said...

Did you find yourself falling back on musical cliches very often? Granted, sometimes cliches are what's needed.

Seems to me that is a trap in that kind of work, but the best stuff always avoids sounding formulaic. Composers for TV and film can't really be ironic or artsy to show off their writing chops, yet when those options are removed from the bag it becomes a lot harder than writing for yourself. At least, that's how I imagine it would go.